Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Stuck in ONE of the DC Storms

February 9th, 2010, three days after my original plans to fly out I flew out of DC on one of two flights before the next storm came through. The man sitting in the window seat in my aisle told me he could see the snow clouds coming in as we were taking off. I missed my husband's 45th birthday party and the hometown Superbowl party.

It wasn't too bad being stuck for three extra days. The storm didn't hit before I was able to take in a few sights. I was able to go up into the Washington Monument, which I had not done on any of my previous five or so trips to Washington DC. My first trip was a senior high school trip with some of my classmates and the best history teacher, Dave Wackerbarth.

It irritates me that it is common on the west coast not to differentiate between Washington State or Washington DC. I have had to adapt and when asked reply that I am from Washington STATE. That was capitalized just for emphasis. I don't yell it at anyone when asked.

Snowstorms can be fun. I wished my kids could have been there with me to take advantage of the White House hill being opened and kids being invited to sled down it. We don't get snow very often in the lowlands of Washington STATE. The weather forecaster predicts snow on Friday. That's tomorrow and right now there are blue skies and lots of wind so who knows just maybe the wind will blow in some snow!

No comments: